Thursday, August 19, 2010

One Year Anniversary of “Enjoying the Ride”

I made my first blog post on July 22, 2009, called Let's Get This Party Started. I've been so busy these past few weeks that only today did I realize that I missed my one year anniversary. Good thing this blog is not a woman…

In my first year of blogging I posted 86 times. Here are some statistics:
IMG_1935Average days between posts:                        4.2
Average number of posts per week:                1.7
Number of visitors:                       approx. 18,500
Average visitors per day:                    approx. 50
Busiest day:                               March 28, 2010 (after posting CCSVI- Diagnosis and Treatment Log Entry #7)
Visitors on busiest day:                                656
Slowest day:                             October 9, 2009
Visitors on slowest day:                                  6
Number of visitors on Christmas Day, 2009:       16
Visitors who don't celebrate Christmas:            16 (estimate)
My busiest category was My Multiple Sclerosis Stories.  This is the memoir section of my blog that started with My MS Story Chapter 1 – My Left Foot Stages a Mutiny and ends with My MS Story Chapter 39 – Making a Smaller Me. Since it's a memoir, and I'm still alive, I guess the story hasn't exactly ended yet. My objective with this section of the blog was to relate to MS patients and civilians what it is like for a person to deal with multiple sclerosis, from diagnosis to disability. Of course my story is only one example. Multiple sclerosis is such a capricious disorder.  Each patient’s story is unique.

In the past few months I've posted often about CCSVI in general, and my CCSVI diagnosis and treatment experience specifically. That story is still unfolding, and CCSVI is a cause to which I am committed.

I've written about and created videos of my iBOT wheelchair. Right now the clock is ticking. In less than 3 1/2 years the iBOT will no longer be supported. Because it is such a complex device, it will essentially become useless after that time. I'm involved with a group of people who are trying to save the iBOT. Wish us luck.

This blog has been a blessing for me. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed writing it. I’ve reconnected with old friends and made new ones.  I’ve learned a lot about myself through the writing process (but I wonder if continuing to NOT think about my life would have been easier). Based on feedback I’ve received, Enjoying the Ride has been of some help to readers as well.  That puts a smile on my face.


Here are my ten favorite Enjoying the Ride posts, in the order they were posted:
How to Interact with a Disabled Person: 101
A few guidelines to help you understand the in’s and out’s, or do's and don'ts, of interacting with a disabled person.
My MS Story Chapter 6 – The Things I Learned One Night in Nashville
Because it brings back fond memories of one cold night in Nashville.
How to Select the Ideal Life Partner
A tribute to the most important woman (and person) in my life.
One September Day in 1969
A tribute to the original most important woman in my life.
My MS Top 10 Lists
A sometimes serious, sometimes lighthearted look at the ups and downs of living with MS.
My MS Story Chapter 20- Sometimes I am the predator. Sometimes I am the prey.
An accounting of my attempt to maintain an ancient family tradition. 
My MS Story Chapter 24- Life’s Little Indignities
Recounts my major "coming out" business trip, and some of the difficulties I encountered during it. 
Have I betrayed my childhood self?
My attempt at waxing philosophical.
CCSVI- Diagnosis and Treatment Log Entry #8- My Final Thoughts
A summary of my CCSVI treatment experience, immediately after my March procedure.
Have you ever seen a Black Swan?
Because I’ve always felt that we don’t give enough credence to the role that pure luck plays in our lives. “You make your own luck,” is only uttered by fortunate people.
Enhanced by Zemanta

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for blogging and communicating via email. Your blog has been really useful! Keep it up as long as you like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mitch,
    I always enjoy reading your blogs, and I find your writing both informative and fun. Keep up the good work and Happy Belated Anniversary!
    Peace,
    Muff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darren,

    Thanks for commenting. Since you are no longer blogging, please email me any cool links you find.

    Muff,

    Thanks for the anniversary wishes!

    Mitch

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mitch, congrats on a very successful first year as a blogger. Great job, not only the blog but also on the CCSVI Alliance. Kudos to you, my friend…

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marc (WK),

    Thanks! You have been a great supporter of this blog, and a great friend.

    ReplyDelete