Sunday, July 10, 2011

My Personal “Going Out of Business Sale”

I've owned more than my share of man-toys over the years. The minimalists among us might argue that this is nothing to be proud of. But I’d like to think that I owned my toys for only the best of reasons- to help me live my life to its fullest. I never felt like I was flaunting my financial success, or in any way being wasteful or frivolous. But that's just my take on the situation.

Over the last three years or so, I've been parting with these man-toys at a steady pace (I mean no offense to my female readers who also enjoy such items…it’s just that in my world these are principally male extravagances). As my MS has progressed, especially in my arms and hands, I've divested myself of the toys that I can no longer enjoy. I've held onto them as long as I could, employing adaptations where possible, until it just didn't make sense anymore or became a safety issue. Below is a brief summary of the items I've parted with:

Golf clubs- I had a love/hate relationship with this sport, but I did have one amazing shot, and wrote about it here.
DCF 1.0











Hunting Camp Lot- We sold our original hunting camp and purchased property to build a new one, but ended up selling the land so that I could buy my iBot wheelchair (arguably a crippled-man-toy). I still enjoy some limited deer hunting, which I wrote about here.
DCF 1.0











2 Snowmobiles and a covered snowmobile trailer- Snowmobiling was one of my greatest passions, and I wrote about it here.
2008 102
2008 100




2008 104












4WD, full size pickup- I loved this pickup, but after a while I couldn't manage to get up into the seat anymore.
2008 658











Pop up camper- This camper and others before it were a significant source of good, wholesome family fun. Eventually I couldn't get up the stairs into the camper, so we sold it.
outsidepopupfive











2 ATV’S and a double trailer- I used these ATV’s for recreational riding with Zach and for deer hunting. They gave me passage into the wilderness.  I sold them two years ago when I couldn't get on and off of them anymore, and had difficulty operating the controls.
2008 372











Lawn Tractor- I just sold my lawn tractor this morning. Our lawn is not well suited for a big mower, but we bought it anyway when we moved into this house so that I could enjoy cutting the grass. Each year it became a little more difficult for me to get into and out of the tractor. Yesterday Kim and I attempted an overly-elaborate and ill-conceived boarding procedure that nearly resulted in her throwing out her knee and me crumpling to the floor. But we persevered, and I mowed the lawn one last time.
IMG_0342











2 kayaks- I haven't sold these yet, but neither have I taken them out in two years. My kids keep promising that they’ll use them; I keep threatening to sell them for lack of use (sell the kayaks, not the kids…they are already 18+ years old).
2008 604











Again, some would contend that ridding myself of all of these material possessions is not entirely a bad thing. Simplifying my life and impacting the environment less is to some extent noble. The other consolation has been the influx of cash that I've experienced each time I sold one of my toys, usually on Craigslist. This is not to say that I've been happy or even indifferent about losing the ability to enjoy any of these activities (except maybe golf), but the cash takes a tiny bit of the sting away. Imagine if I was required to pay to relinquish these life passions.

I must say that I'm pleased with how I've coped with these losses. I’ve not allowed myself to spend too much time lamenting my misfortune. I've simply accepted my fate and moved on. Despite these disappointments and others not mentioned here, and with the support of family and friends, I've continued to live a contented life.

Oh, there’s one more toy to discuss:

Handcycle- I've ignored my handcycle all spring and summer. I keep coming up with excuses, like it's too hot or too cold outside, or I'm too tired or that I need to save my energy for an activity later in the day. But I know what's really going on. I can’t face the possibility that, like all my other toys, I just can't play with this one anymore. My beloved handcycle has been a savior for me throughout my disability. I wrote about it here.
2008 454 bike











I have a plan. If I continue to simply avoid my handcycle, then I won’t be let down, hence preserving the notion that I can still ride it whenever I please. Up to this point in my ten-year MS ordeal I’ve not allowed myself the indulgence of denial. Maybe I will, just this once.

9 comments:

  1. Loved the post--Conversely, I've never been particularly athletic so I am now acquiring equipment such as my scooter, dorsiflex zapping device, and scooter lift. Life is good, no matter what the equipment, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indulging in denial...I might try that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Handcycle - I'm whispering "motor assist, motor assist" in your ear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too have had to shed my former life as my husband committed suicide almost six years ago. First, the house, then the boat, then the snowmobiles. Now the cottage. Persevere is the word I live by. This experience has taught me about simplicity and humility. I still have the Ford F150 pickup. I can't get myself to get rid of it as I love driving it and it is the last "thing" that I have of my husband, but in time that will go too. We all have our life journey, some of us struggle more than others, but we must always have hope. Without hope, there is nothing.
    It saddens me to see how your MS has progressed. I remember vividly the stories about your bike. Keep on fighting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daphne,

    Thanks for stopping by. I guess a companion post that I should write next is about all the equipment I've acquired to replace my old equipment, like you have.

    Diane,

    Denial is probably a healthier indulgence that say, alcoholism, right?

    Katja,

    I'm intrigued. I'll contact you to discuss.

    Anonymous,

    I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles. Simplicity and humility are indeed required in order to cope with situations like ours. When life takes a bad turn it certainly lends perspective to our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your father-in-law is certainly enjoying the lawnmower. It couldn't have gone to a better house that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From James' wife: This sounds like it may be a case of "the one who dies after enjoying the most things in life wins"....never mind what equipment was involved. What wonderful times you describe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a.huge deed! Denial was my best friend for many years. Now I'm going to follow your lead and accept my fate

    ReplyDelete