Thursday, August 18, 2011

Weird Coincidences

Decan
Image via Wikipedia
Dear Readers,

I am a born skeptic.  As such, I am reluctant to accept sensational or non-scientific explanations of how the world works.  For example…

I don't believe in fate, destiny, or karma. I don't believe in astrology or numerology. I’m still on the fence regarding meteorology.

I don't believe that everything happens for a reason, or that anything is meant to be. And please don’t bore me with your conspiracy theory du jour. 

I don't believe in ghosts and spirits and psychic phenomena. I don't accept that magnets or miniature pyramids can cure your ills (until I see a series of double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trials that prove as much). I take nothing that a salesperson says at face value.

When somebody sends me an amazing photo or tidbit through e-mail, I often go to www.snopes.com, to help me decide if it is a myth or if it is real. More often than not, it’s an internet hoax.

I don't believe that prayer circles will bring rain to drought-stricken Texas.  I have no superstitions (to which I will admit). I'm pretty sure Atlantis never existed, and that Bigfoot, Yeti, and the Loch Ness Monster are pure crap (sorry,Marshall).

I expect that life exists elsewhere in our vast universe, but I am skeptical of every human report of interaction with said beings.

I admit that there is so much that I do not know, but I resist the urge to fill in the gaps with supernatural explanations. It's just the way I'm wired; I have nothing against others who think differently.  Your lives are probably more colorful than mine, although I like my life just the way it is, thank you.

Having said all this, I'm still thoroughly amused by weird coincidences. For example, here's my new license plate which pays homage to a very personal coincidence.

IMG_0406











Have a happy, skeptical day.

Sincerely,

Mitchell Sturgeon

Enhanced by Zemanta

10 comments:

  1. Nobody else in Maine already had this plate? Clearly evidence of supernatural forces at work… ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zoom, probably several people have had it over the years, and I just timed it right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a well written post! I and a tiny "sixth sense" moment at the end there. I was totally not expecting that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice plate. Nice that your "timing was right," because I, too, am surprised that it wasn't taken. Some forces in the universe lined it up for you. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Mitch,
    Cue the Twilight Zone music!

    kicker

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...and I'm sure that the alignment of the planets was responsible for your parents not naming you Billy Sturgeon. They couldn't have known about vanity license plates back then. Ginny F.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The way I'm feeling right now, I would really like the handicapped license plate for Billy Sturgeon, it would express exactly how I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Billy Sturgeon? Ha Ha. Is it too late to change my 19 year old's name?

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm with you on being a skeptic, although i have been a part of, and had personal experiences with, "the paranormal," which were based on learnable, perfectly natural science. and though prayer might not bring rain, it kept myself, my family, and my daughter alive and well during the process of her heart transplant - of that i have no doubt. meteorology, i don't know about so much. but there is so little that we poor humans actually "know," that i try my best to keep my mind open to everything. heck, there might even be a cure someday for this nasty thing in my head that nibbles away at the swiss cheese of what is left of my brain.

    ReplyDelete