Friday, September 16, 2011

What to do? What to do?

2009 418 Fenway 03I launched this blog over two years ago to help pass the time while engaged in a productive activity – advocating for the disabled community. So, have I done that? To a large extent, I think I have.

By disclosing my day-to-day challenges, and revealing my innermost fears and concerns, I've shed light on the kind of issues that many healthy folks are oblivious to. Perhaps I’ve helped some people to better connect with their disabled friends, neighbors, and loved ones. By sharing my general outlook on life and some of my coping mechanisms, I hope I've helped disabled folks in some small way as well.

OK, but enough tooting of my own horn. That is not the purpose of today's post.

I'm not a dedicated researcher. I no longer have the energy or the inclination to be the authority on emerging topics in the medical field. I suggest you go elsewhere for that information. I don't write elegant prose. If that's what floats your boat, I can recommend several other blogs authored by more skilled writers, and of course there are always the popular books and journals.

What I think I do a passable job of writing about are the following:
1. My personal story, which is fairly unique, and when conveyed with honesty can even be compelling at times.

2. My personal beliefs and opinions on selected subjects, which, when expressed clearly, might cause you to stop and think a little bit. I know I always enjoy reading a piece that prompts me to find my philosophical bearings.
I walk a fine line in my writing, describing my circumstances frankly so as to lend authenticity to my message. I do this, however, at considerable risk.  The last thing I want is for my portrayal to be misperceived as self pity.  It’s a fine line.

I try to post at least once a week. Today, it is been a week and a day, and I don't have anything written. So this may be as good a time as any to ask for suggestions from you, the readers.

What would you like to read more about here? Where would you like me to go with the blog? What types of posts have you enjoyed, and what types of posts could you do without? Feel free to leave your responses in the comments section or send me an e-mail at email@enjoyingtheride.com.

Thanks for taking a few minutes to help me overcome my blogger’s block. I need ideas!

8 comments:

  1. I am a mother whose adult son has MS. It has devastated me to watch him suffer as he loses functions one at a time. I am often at a loss as to how to help him survive what is happening. It is so painful and my grief is deep. How does your family deal with what has happened to you, and what was the process by which they accepted your MS and still remained with you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell us more travel stories--I am constantly searching for accessible idea--there are way to few. Royal Caribbean is great but I agree that the ports are very frustrating. Eastern is better than western or southern for accessibility.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Share your secrets on resilience. It sounds like inspite of the frustrations that occur with a disability - which I can relate, you also have a life full of much joy. I am a therapist and love to learn more about this strength and resilience in people. Our capacity to keep fighting and living life to its fullest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just got moved--that is an emotionally and physically exhausting process-- no wonder you aren't exactly perky in the writing department at the moment.

    I like your descriptions of things you do; I like your philosophizing about life; I like hearing about how supportive your family is; I like knowing you are out there, having a good life. I pretty much like whatever you write about!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous,

    That might be a good future blog post.

    Meredy,

    I'll see if I can work that in.

    Becky,

    This is a tricky one. I don't know of any secrets that I have, per se. I've pretty much credited my resilience to good genes. But if I think about it long enough, I may be able come up with something better. Thanks for the idea.

    Daphne,

    Thanks. You are good for my self-esteem!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like keeping up with you, Kim and your family. I'm excited to travel thru Portland with you in cyberspace and hope you have the strength and desire to keep sharing.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, Mitch, the blogs that I find most interesting and inspiring are not the ones that set out to be inspirational and uplifting. People who climb mountains or run marathons or swim the English Channel because they refuse to allow their disability to slow them down just make me feel inadequate. I'd much rather read about people who just live life, and can tell me about it. You do that good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe you've been doing this that long! I just started blogging in feb./March of this year. See, you inspire in more ways than just one!

    ReplyDelete