Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Consider These Issues…

Symbol of Confusion
(Photo credit: Wikipedia)
…because I can’t decide on just one topic this week.
 
Quote of the Week

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.”  Bertrand Russell

I'd like to think I belong to the second group. I am certainly full of doubt…

Hope for the iBot

As you may know, the iBot, this incredible personal mobility device that I've enjoyed for almost 4 years now, is in danger of becoming extinct. There is some good news, however. America's Huey 091 Foundation is working with the inventor, Dean Kamen, to resurrect the iBot. Here's an article on that effort.

There are many hurdles remaining, but at least there is some hope for the iBot.

Myelin repair

The Myelin Repair Foundation (MRF) is attempting to change the world of medical research, beginning with multiple sclerosis. MRF has identified systemic bottlenecks in the drug research and approval processes, and is working on innovative solutions. Please watch their compelling video here.

Intrathecal Methotrexate

In February I disclosed my latest experimental treatment regimen – intrathecal methotrexate. This involves injecting a chemotherapy drug directly into my spinal column once every eight weeks. I had my first such treatment on March 5, without incident. My second infusion is scheduled for next Monday, April 30. I expect that it will take me many months to determine whether the treatment is effective or not. Wish me luck.

Maine is Peaceful

My home state of Maine, and in particular the region around Portland, where I live, consistently shows up in lists of best places to live and/or visit. The most recent such list was reported on by USAToday. It turns out that Maine is the most peaceful state in the nation. I like that. To see the report, click here, and then have yourself a very peaceful day. I plan to.

Last Week's Atheist Posts

Last week I issued a two-part post where I “came out” as an atheist. I feared that I might lose many readers as a result, but that has not been the case. I’d like to thank everyone for your understanding and support, and for keeping an open mind.
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the chemo! I just this morning saw my new Dr. And decided to go ahead and try cyclophosphamide! Chemo also, but IV not spinal.Finding your post here today was perfect timing, and I just read the Feb post: spinal tap! Big ditto shout out! I'll be riding with you on this one. Good luck and thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy,

    Good luck with the Cytoxan!

    Mitch

    ReplyDelete