Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Yesterday, at the End of My Street

Yesterday, I was lounging around on my deck, looking out over the ocean. I noticed a bald eagle sitting on the rocks in the middle of our little cove. I grabbed my camera, put my wheelchair in third gear, zipped the hundred feet or so to the end of our road, and snapped these pictures.

































In these photos the tide is about halfway in (or halfway out if you’re a pessimist). At this point there are usually about 50 seagulls, some ducks, and an assortment of other birds feeding near these rocks. Understandably, I don’t see any birds except the seagull that this eagle is devouring. I wish I had witnessed the kill. That would’ve been amazing.

Just last week I posted about how, since I now live in the city, I’m learning to take the bus for transportation. This experience with the eagle reminds me that South Portland still has a little of the wild side left in it.

After snapping the eagle photos, I turned my head about 90° the left and took in the view of this huge cruise ship. Almost every day this time of year there are one or sometimes two such cruise ships docked in Portland. Living in an area where both eagles soar and cruise ships visit is probably not a bad thing, right?

















For another post about my beautiful neighborhood, click here.

6 comments:

  1. Your photos brought back memories of our vacation visits to Portland. (Not the dead bird, though. Just the beautiful oceanside scenes.)
    So glad you're finding independence through public transportation.
    Peace,
    Muff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great pictures! Wish the eagle were enjoying Eagle Kibble or something that didn't bleed on camera, but, hey. Most people can't go out their door and see such exciting things....For the rest of us, it's more like, "Hey, the neighbor didn't pick up their paper yet."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Portland sounds like heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your location. Great pics of nature doing what it does. I guess the bald eagle being our national bird is appropriate. Oops, showing my true colors there. Sorry if I offend anyone.

    You will have some great excursions this Fall, I just know it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hiya Mitch! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Muffie, having been to Portland yourself you can probably understand my love affair with my city.

    Ginny, it's not all eagles and cruise ships here. It is a little bit of "I can't believe the Jones haven't brought out their trash cans yet. The trash truck will be here any minute."

    Daphne, based on some depictions I've seen of heaven, I'll take Portland!

    Webster, I sure hope I have something interesting to write about this fall.

    Darren, hello back at you.

    ReplyDelete