Thursday, November 21, 2013

A Piece I Wrote is Published

2010 06 15 I’m an engineer, not an author. I know great writing, and this is not that. I do feel that I have a compelling story to share, however, and I've been told that my writing helps some people work through their own challenges. My goal is to get this message out in a form that is as entertaining and readable as I can make it. The Multiple Sclerosis Foundation is helping that cause this month in their periodical called MSFocus. To read my article click here, and work your way to page 60. This magazine also enjoys a wide circulation in the printed form.

A couple of months ago I received an unsolicited email from the editorial coordinator at MSFocus. She had been reading my blog posts and liked one in particular. She asked if I would agree to have it published in their Men and MS column. I asked how much the gig would pay. She responded, "Nothing." I said, "Deal."

Over the years I have considered submitting pieces to various magazines for publication. But that might require some initiative on my part, so it just hasn’t happened. Or perhaps the problem is that making such an effort might either necessitate or compel an emotional investment in the quality of my writing. If I was to be emotionally invested in the quality of my writing, and it was to be rejected, then I would be sad. I don’t want to be sad. I’ll probably just sit back and let them find me again, like they did this time.

If this is your first visit to Enjoying the Ride, having read my piece in MSFocus, I welcome you. You’ll find this blog to be a roughly equal mixture of thoughtful contemplation and utter drivel. Some days I dabble in the profound, and other days I wallow in the profane. It’s a crapshoot.

If you’d like to get a flavor for this blog by reading just a few choice articles, instead of the roughly 300 that I have posted here, check some of these out:
To meet my incredible mother, who was a quadriplegic, click here.
If you need reality checks on your hopes and dreams, click here and here (hint: you probably do).

For instructions on how to select the ideal life partner, based on my personal experience, click here.

Being disabled can be wrought with indignities. For a few examples that all occurred in one weekend, click here.

Sometimes I write about earlier memories, before MS, like here.

Other times I wax philosophical, like I did here and here.

I’m not above offering unsolicited advice, like here, here, here, and here.

Once in a while I post about how I have maintained the pursuit of certain passions, like here.

I came up with lists of the 10 worst aspects of having MS, and the 10 best.

I made one attempt at poetry. I promise I won’t do it again (yet I’m obviously proud of myself since I included it here).
I have also thrown together a few YouTube videos. Most of them feature my amazing iBot wheelchair, but some videos address other subjects. My YouTube channel can be found here.

If you enjoy this content, feel free to share the link www.enjoyingtheride.com with others. I hope to see you here again soon.

14 comments:

  1. Keeping the sarcasm alive at 3 KimballNovember 21, 2013 at 10:40 AM

    The MSFocus synopsis at the end of your article says that before your diagnosis you had a chemical engineering degree and an MBA. I didn't realize MS had taken your education too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Khoren, I love your new online identity. Yes, before MS I had an engineering degree and an MBA. Where did I say that I ever lost it?? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your posts, and I'm glad someone recognized their quality. Congrats on being published!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations. It's a great article.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Muffie and Judy, thanks so much for your support!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yippie--recognition! Congrats--it was a good article and I'm so glad to know even more people will be seeing it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darren and Daphne, thank you and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Mitch,
    CONGRATS - A published writer!
    Can I have your autograph? Wow, I know a famous person. (well, I cyberly know you)
    Now even more reason to keep "stalking" you!
    WATCH out.

    Seriously - Congratulations. It is well deserved.
    Dee/OH

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dee, I won't be giving out my autograph for free. I'm sure you understand. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keeping the sarcasm alive at 3 KimballNovember 27, 2013 at 11:12 PM

    Dee, he's not kidding. I had to buy a house from him to get an autograph...

    ReplyDelete
  11. 3 Kimball,
    I wondered too, when Mitch said
    he "had" a chemical engineering degree and an MBA before his diagnosis
    - like he doesn't have them after the MS hit.
    - I think I get your sarcasm.

    And Mitch,
    I won't be buying a house to get that autograph, but thanks anyway. ;-)
    Dee/OH

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dee and 3 Kimball: now that I think back on the sale of my home, I had two closings that day, and I knew I would not be able to sign my name that many times, so we filled out some sort of paperwork and Kim became my designated signer. So 3 Kimball didn't even get an authentic Enjoying the Ride autograph for all the money he paid!

    ReplyDelete