Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Potpourri

It’s becoming more and more difficult for me to don my winter coat, even with assistance, especially the part where I try to stuff my arms into the sleeves. So I bit the bullet and ordered this ridiculously expensive winter Cape, which has no sleeves. Once I try it out, I’ll give you a review (picture on right). Who else wears a cape: Batman, Superman, the magician at your child's birthday party.

Marie Suszynski at Everyday Health published a column called Nine MS Myths, Busted. Myth 2, “Everyone with MS Ends up Severely Disabled”, and myth 9, “Everyone with MS Will Quickly and Steadily Get Worse,” are sadly ironic for me. But the rest of the items are pretty sound. Thanks to Stu's Views & M.S. News for this link.

Apple’s iPhone has an abundance of accessibility features. Click here for a summary.  I also came across this article in USA Today a couple of days ago: Five Things You Had No Idea Your IPhone Could Do. I'm going to try #1, and I've already started using #3. (sorry Al)

Maintenance and parts support for the iBot will expire on March 31. I know people are still working on saving the iBot, and I have my fingers crossed. I wasn’t aware that Dean Kamen brought the iBot on the Colbert Report way back in 2006. Watch this clip – very entertaining. Thanks to Cynthia and Charles Riordan for the link.

Here’s a TED talk that everyone with a brain disease, like MS, or anyone who knows someone with a brain disease should watch. Siddharthan Chandran: Can the Damaged Brain Repair Itself? I have little doubt that medical researchers will find a way to repair the damage done by neurological diseases, but will it be soon enough for people like me?


Finally, I wanted to let you know that I have been asked to write another “Men with MS” column in the magazine MS Focus. It will be in the spring issue, and I’ll let you know when it comes out.
Enhanced by Zemanta

5 comments:

  1. Been wearing capes for years, especially since I had to wait on the bus to come get me on the street corner. Favorite one had a muffler type pocket across the front that held my gloves. Always knew where they were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wear a cape that I purchased in Ireland, but I also must wear something substantial beneath it. Also, it's very cumbersome in the car. My biggest complaint about regular winter coats is the buttoning/zippering.
    Can't wait to read your article!

    ReplyDelete
  3. KK, were you ever mistaken for a superhero? ;-)

    Muffie, yes, the zipping is the "reward" you get if you manage to get your arms in the sleeves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had to return to my child-rearing/day-care days when putting on my jacket. i lay it in my lap upside down - with the collar at my hips - and inside out - the inside of the coat facing out. I put my arms in the sleeves, and then (trying not to fall down) hoist the whole thing over my head and then (with assistance) pull the back down behind me. It's easier than it sounds...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok Mitch, I had to take the bait (and for folks using Android...) You CAN do #1 on Android - you simply download that app FaceLooks. And of course #3 has been available 4evr! :)

    ReplyDelete