Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Some Improvements to This Website

This is icon for social networking website. Th...

I am very busy these days. It’s as if we are cramming an entire summer’s worth of activities into the first two weeks of July. So I’m putting together a post in about 10 minutes – please forgive me.

I’ve been looking for an opportunity to highlight some improvements at EnjoyingtheRide.com:

Pages

Google’s Blogger, which is the platform that I used to build this blog, has a feature it calls Pages. These show up as a row of headers just below my ocean-view banner at the very top. For now, I have the following Pages; I may add more later:
Inspiration: I’ve been careful not to describe this website as inspirational. The connotation would be, I fear, that it contains only positive posts and happy endings – a fairytale. I prefer to think of my writing as realistic or helpful, like a good engineering report or business plan. But, despite my best efforts, people do find certain posts inspirational, and I have gathered a few of those on this Page.
Videos: I’ve categorized these as “iBot Videos” and “Other Videos.” Enjoy.
Vintage Pics: From my parents’ wedding through Kim and my wedding. 
Travel: I’ve done a lot of traveling as a disabled person, and I’ve blogged about it frequently.
Twitter

Share Buttons

On the top of the right side of the page you will see five new buttons, one each for sharing content on Facebook, Twitter, Email, or Google Plus, and one button for printing a hard copy of the blog post. I encourage readers to share my posts liberally. I only ask that you don’t distribute content without attributing it to me (attribution is done automatically if you use these buttons). The easiest way for you to manually attribute content is to say something like, “From the website EnjoyingtheRide.com, Mitch had this to say:…”

My goal is to reach as many people as possible through my writing. I am humbled when someone likes a post enough to pass it along. If you have any questions about sharing content, please don’t hesitate to email me.


A Reminder of Some Existing Features
Search: Immediately under the share buttons is the search feature. I’ve written on many topics, and if you put some keywords in about disability, multiple sclerosis, or a zillion other things, there’s a good chance you’ll find some content on the subject. Or, if you remember that you enjoyed a post about snowmobiling, for example, and you’d like to read it again, type the word “snowmobiling” into the search box.
Click Here to Email Me: Under the search box is a button to press if you would like to email me. I love to hear from readers.
Receive Email Updates of New Posts: If you want to be sure not to miss a post, one way is to receive new posts via your email inbox. Type your address in this section, and you will receive a confirmation email. You’ll need to respond to that confirmation email in order to be added to the database. Hundreds of people stay in touch with EnjoyingtheRide.com in this way.
Please let me know if you’re having any technical problems with the website, or if you have any suggestions for improving this blog.

Finally, please feel free to share my web address, www.enjoyingtheride.com, with anyone you feel may enjoy the site.

Thanks so much for reading and staying in touch. For my American friends – have a wonderful Independence Day on Friday. I plan to.

2 comments:

  1. i've been using the wordpress platform for years, and running several blogs. i find it easily customizable, with plenty of features in the free version. the paid versions have even more features. ETR looks great! have a big-fun and safe summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephen, I've long toyed with the idea of giving wordpress a try, but I suppose these latest improvements have only put that off further.

    ReplyDelete