Tuesday, October 21, 2014

The Top Ten Reasons I Want to End MS

When I checked my email this morning I saw a note from the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. They asked the question, "Why do you want to end MS?" Their goal is to have 20,000 people answer by October 31. Here is the link.

This is the kind of rah rah mentality that usually turns me off. It is blatant cheerleading. But I had no other blog post idea this week, so I thought I would give you my top 10 reasons.

Reason #10:
If we end MS, then we can put people like me back to work so we are financial contributors to society instead of financial burdens, and so that we can once again feel the satisfaction that comes with a job and a career. This time around I don’t want to be an engineer. I’m thinking astronaut or Rom Com movie star.

Reason #9:
If we end MS, then I can change the name of my blog from enjoying the ride to enjoying the mountain climbing. Who am I kidding? That was never me. It would be more like enjoying standing up to pee.  

Reason #8:
If we end MS, then we can make organizations like the National Multiple Sclerosis Society (bless their hearts), and silly campaigns like this one (and I mean that in the nicest way) obsolete.

Reason #7:
If we end MS, then we can reallocate the enormous sum of money spent on research and treatment. This money can instead go toward other diseases. But I would like a little of it to go to those of us who were cured of multiple sclerosis so we can vacation in the Caribbean – all of us at the same time and on the same island. What a party that would be!

Reason #6:
If we end MS, then we can answer, once and for all, the question of what was its root cause. I hope it’s not something too embarrassing though, like you catch MS from picking your nose or excessive masturbation.

Reason #5:
If we end MS, then I can reclaim my initials from this damn disease.

2011 08 202









Reason #4:
If we end MS, then those people who are cured will save money on wheelchairs, wheelchair vans, ramps, grab bars, home modifications, and a million other things. However, our costs for footwear will increase dramatically (a pair of shoes typically lasts me 5 to 7 years now).

Reason #3:
If we end MS, then people like me can get our lives back.

Reason #2:
If we end MS, then people like Kim can have the respite that they deserve. They won’t have to be caregivers in addition to all their other roles.

And my #1 reason is:
If we end MS, then our children and our children’s children will not be cut down in their prime. We will stand tall and say, “No person will never suffer this way again.”

Why do you want to end MS?

9 comments:

  1. Thanks, Mitch. I must admit that #6 drew a good laugh here ;)

    I did, however sign up,
    and give 2 good reasons.

    My nephew's wife has it, and so do you.

    Roger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clueless, inane campaign. Not so subtle way to raise money. Work on the cause and cure and cut the PR crap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will readily admit that I'm not a patient person, and as such, these types of exercises drive me a bit crazy as well - sort of like when ridiculous sums of money are used to conduct studies that have an outcome that anyone with at least one working brain cell could have answered for free (Do massive traffic jams induce stress? Duh, let's spend 5 million smackers to see if that's the case...) Sometimes every fiber of your being just "knows" the answer, and I don't always feel that the "knowing" has to be perfectly articulated..sorry, I'm a little grumpy today-if such an exercise is helpful for some, I shouldn't pooh-pooh it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roger, #6 seems to be a popular one! I like your reasons for signing up.

    Anonymous, I feel your frustration. The NMSS does a lot of good, but they drive me crazy at the same time.

    JE, you are so welcome.

    Lovespups, I agree. It's frustrating to see money wasted by these organizations on frivolous studies. But MS continues to be a mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Because I want to be able to play catch with my son.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jonathan, a beautiful, humble sentiment…

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mitch,
    COUNT ME IN on #7
    I'd love to hang out and party with all these cyber ms friends I've come across over all these years. Of course - the healthy versions of ourselves!
    Fortunately, we did do some Caribbean vacations in our old days.

    And as to #2, AMEN to that. Sometimes that one is the hardest to come to terms with.

    Dee/OH

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dee, I have reserved your island vacation. King-size bed or two queens?

    ReplyDelete