Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Speaking to Students About Disabilities

I have to thank Kim for this opportunity. A few weeks ago she told me that her school, Cape Elizabeth Middle School, would be observing A Lot Alike week. They booked speakers, and they organized activities, all centered around the theme of inclusion. Kim asked if I would speak about disabilities. I reluctantly agreed to.

I assumed I would provide a public service, imparting knowledge to these young people. I would do them a favor and would receive nothing in return. As planned, I gave them an understanding of what it’s like to live with a disability. But to my surprise and delight, the energy, compassion, and earnestness I felt from the students lifted my spirits. I gave, and they gave back.

I wanted to start slowly, just one class of 25 or so eighth-graders, in case I bombed. My greatest fear was that I would bore them. The first session went well, so we set up three more sessions of 50 or so eighth-graders over the next week.

Using a PowerPoint presentation, I kicked things off with some pictures of Mrs. Sturgeon and me when we were the same age as these students. I deliberately made fun of our clothing and hair styles, and I quickly gained credibility.

Then, I told them about my diagnosis and explained the basic science of multiple sclerosis. I discussed the variety of symptoms that MS patients might encounter. I showed them pictures of me using a cane, forearm crutches, and a scooter. Next came the highlight of the show – an iBot demonstration. In each of the four sessions, when I elevated myself into balance mode, the students couldn’t believe their eyes.

I spoke about my mother – what a role model she was – and addressed some specific lessons I learned from her. I mentioned the eerie similarity between her injury and my disease.

Then I introduced my blog and talked about how it has benefited both me and those who read it. I shared with them some of my favorite posts.

I finished up with what I called My Keys to Resilience. Then came my favorite part of each presentation – audience questions.

Always, the questions started slowly, then once the ice was broken multiple hands flew up at one time. The students didn’t have much of a filter, and that was refreshing. Here are a few of the questions they asked:
Can you feel your legs? Yes
Does it hurt to lift your arms? Not really
Have you stabilized or are you still getting worse? Getting worse
What do you have for hobbies? I explained some of these
What kind of music do you listen to? Nothing made after 1982
How do you get into and out of bed? I explained this
How much did the iBot cost? $26,000
How did your mother break her neck? You’ll have to read my book
How do you travel? I explained some of this
What is the difference between MS and ALS? Mostly life expectancy and speed of deterioration
Are there any treatments? Many for relapsing, none so far for PPMS
Can you move your legs at all? A tiny, tiny bit. I demonstrated for them.
Do you have other wheelchairs? Three others
How does that wheelchair balance? Like a Segway
I had a huge advantage coming in. Mrs. Sturgeon is a beloved school counselor, and the students relished the opportunity to learn more about her life away from school, of which I am a pretty big part. I probably couldn’t have bombed if I had tried.

16 comments:

  1. I love this post! Middle Schoolers ask the boldest, craziest, and sometimes most inappropriate questions. Gotta love them! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are correct! As I said in the post, this was my favorite part of each presentation.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! You've made a lasting positive impact on their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW - what an experience that must have been!
    No better way to learn than to see. I'm sure they will walk away with a new compassion for others that they would never have given much thought of before.
    Thanks for sharing your life with theirs. I'm sure this made an impact on them for a lifetime.

    Way to go, Mitch.

    Dee/OH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. absolutely, Dee. Nothing like hearing something from the horse's mouth – me being the horse in this case.

      Delete
  4. Mitch, thank you for taking the risk and sharing with these students. You've increased their understanding of people with chronic illnesses and disabilities, and that is important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, this did require me to step outside of my comfort zone, but it was so worth it.

      Delete
  5. how great that you were offered, and accepted, this opportunity. how great that the school and the kids were open to learning more about ms. and what great questions! thanks for sharing. a win all around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. everyone was so helpful and so welcoming, from administration to staff to classroom teachers to students.

      Delete
  6. Wat to go, Mitch. Having been an eighth-grade teacher for years, I know how deeply they think. Consider yourself lucky that they didn't ask more probing questions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I was afraid of what they might ask, but they were very appropriate.

      Delete
  7. Ya gotta love middleschoolers - I always say it's the last honest age. So cool that you were the one speaking to them and I'm not surprised that you connected so well. Win-win all the way around!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is good. Thanks for doing that and typing it up. You're a great ambassador I believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, I am a commissioner (on my city's conservation commission), but ambassador? I don't know if I'm ready :-)

      Delete