Tuesday, February 9, 2016

10 Things I Wish I’d Known When I Was Younger

No regrets. Just a few things that would’ve made life easier if I had figured them out sooner:

10 Things I Wish I’d Known When I Was Younger 
  1. Many people are in bad circumstances through no fault of their own. Not all, but many.
  2. Buy long-term care insurance. It’s one of the essential insurances, along with homeowners, life (but not nearly as much as is recommended), automobile, and disability (if available from your employer).
  3. Stop concerning yourself with what other people think, except when they are right and are just trying to keep you from doing something stupid.
  4. Expand your comfort zone, and then expand it a little more.
  5. Build more stone patios and fewer wooden decks. Decks lift you up and away from the earth. Patios keep you grounded. Plus, patios are wheelchair accessible.
  6. Stop working for medium to large corporations. Sometimes it’s a necessary evil to gain experience, but over time corporate life can suck the life out of you.
  7. Almost nothing is as big a deal as you make it out to be. Let things go. This too shall pass, except maybe MS. That’s a freaking huge deal.
  8. If you have mobility problems, purchase a one-story house in the city, now, not 10 years from now.
  9. Make more of an effort to meet all sorts of people, not only people just like you.
  10. The greatest feeling in the world comes from helping others.

Here’s a bonus list:

10 Things I’m Glad I Figured Out When I Was Younger
  1. Don’t buy insurance for ultra-specific purposes, like your new TV or laptop. Your insurance policy for these items is called a savings account.
  2. High maintenance, pedestal women are trouble.
  3. A positive outlook is a self-fulfilling prophecy (thanks, Mom).
  4. Learn the basics of personal finances, and adhere to them.
  5. Don’t buy into negativism. Don’t be mean.
  6. Take risks.
  7. Change is good.
  8. Everything doesn’t happen for a reason. Sometimes, shit just happens.
  9. Low expectations stave off disappointment. To clarify, I’m not saying you should dream small. I’m saying you shouldn’t make your happiness contingent upon best case outcomes.
  10. Facts prove theories; anecdotal evidence, testimonials, and stories don’t (thanks, science class). 
Agree? Disagree? What would you add to either of these lists?


13 comments:

  1. Keep active; keep living. Don't give up or in .
    You've got this covered , Mitch. ( How's the book?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the book? Damn, I forgot all about the book. I better get to work on it. Should be finished in a few more weeks.

      Delete
  2. I would add that most (maybe even all?) people are in bad circumstances because of the way they were raised or the issues they had growing up. Even in the better communities kids end up in bad situations through "no fault of their own." I think that is one of the most important things for anyone to understand, and I tell my son that constantly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison, it's a difficult concept to reconcile, because you run the risk of teaching kids that effort doesn't matter – whatever is going to happen is going to happen. But I think we don't give kids enough credit if we assume they can't understand the nuances of ideas like this. Kids know there are more shades in this world than black and white, more answers than right or wrong. Your son is fortunate that you trust him to understand.

      Delete
  3. Listen to that inner voice that tells you to get up from the computer or TV and MOVE -- walk around the block (or to the other side of the house, or to the corner, whatever you can manage). It will help your outlook on life and you might even meet your neighbors!

    Surround yourself with life -- be it a pet, a goldfish, or a plant.

    Practice quietness; meditation; prayer.

    Be grateful for what you DO have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. outstanding additions! I can't believe I left "be grateful" off the list.

      Delete
  4. i look at so many things with a "if i knew then what i know now..." attitude. i'd'a never bought THAT wheelchair, etc. Hindsight is golden, and can be painful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, when looking back becomes an act of regret, it's no longer a positive experience. There is a fine line.

      Delete
  5. Great discussion! How about this one that I learned from a buddy who is in AA: "Resentment is the dubious luxury of normal people."

    And speaking of the book, is it going to be available digitally? I need to blow up the print.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. love that one Daphne! And yes, the book will definitely be available digitally. I would like to be able to read my own book, after all :-)

      Delete
    2. I suspected as much, but oh, good!

      Delete
    3. Take care of your teeth.

      Delete