Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Tribalism



I’ve been thinking about tribalism a lot lately. Seems to be everywhere. Seems to be a big problem.

Teams
With sports fans, tribalism is largely harmless. My Patriots played in the Super Bowl this weekend, again, and I very much wanted them to win. However, when they didn’t, I said to myself, “Well, we can’t win them all,” and I went about my business. Of course, it was a different situation for Eagles fans who had just won their first Super Bowl. I am happy for them. I remember the feeling, although I don’t remember flipping over any cars in celebration.

More Harmful Tribalism
Politics come to mind. In his farewell address, George Washington warned against the evils of political parties. I continue to be amazed by the collective wisdom and foresight of our founding fathers.
One of the ugliest manifestations of tribalism is racism. When we consider our tribe superior and the other tribe inferior, that can lead to prejudice, discrimination, and even violence. Not good.

Chronic Disease Tribalism
Tribalism even occurs with patient groups. When I first started working the MS Walk fundraiser, I approached our local Chapter President for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society and asked her, “Why do we have our walk so early in the spring? Don’t you think we would have a better turnout if we waited for warmer weather?”
“We tried that one year,” she explained, “but the March of Dimes and the Cancer Society beat us to the punch, and by the time our walk came around nobody felt like walking, collecting pledges, or making pledges for that matter. The early bird gets the worm.”
I once wrote a blog post about how I was jealous of the Parkinson’s community. They have a famous spokesperson who visibly shakes in their commercials — Michael J Fox. We have no celebrities of his stature in the MS community. As a result, they collect more money than we do to cure their disease. Damn them.

Take-Away
Tribalism is written into our DNA. Those early humanoids who were genetically predisposed to cohabitate with other humanoids were more likely to reproduce and perpetuate their family line. But today, tribalism does as much, if not more, harm than it does good. I try to keep that in mind as I interact with people outside my own tribe. I try to overcome my base urge to demonize “others,” and in doing so, become a better person.

Except if the other tribe is the Yankees, who suck.  Go Red Sox!

3 comments:

  1. Insightful post. Well written. I feel terrible to admit, but I hope that somebody incredibly famous would come down with MS. I’m not talking about the good kind, I’m talking about the super nasty progressive kind. I imagine the publicity it would bring to MS as the funds would roll in to accelerate a cure. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helpful hint in identifying if you or someone you're talking to is tiptoe-ing into racist/tribalistic territory: If you continually here or use the phrase "those people" or "these people". Chances are the speaker is generalizing or stereotyping a group, which is never good practice. Words matter, so be careful out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go REDS!!! Ohio girl here.
    We were talking baseball, right?
    Dee

    ReplyDelete