Thursday, November 18, 2010

I Know This…I Believe That

I know that there should be a playoff system in College Football.
I believe that someday there will be one.

I know that I can become a better person.
I believe that I am on the right track.

I know I can lead a contented life, given my current circumstances.
I believe that this may not always hold true, however, as my disease progresses.

I know that I love my wife more than anything.
I believe that she understands this, even if I don’t say it often enough.

I know that modern democracy is superior to every other form of government so far conceived by mankind.
I believe that there must be a better way to govern, yet undiscovered- a government based on thoughtful, intelligent discourse rather than mind-numbing political rhetoric.

I know that one day we’ll cure MS.
I believe that it will be too late for me.

I know that I have many treasured friends.
I believe that I don’t foster these friendships as well as I should.

I know that the odds of winning the lottery are hopelessly slim.
I believe I still have a chance.

I know that questions of a moral nature are best resolved by choosing the path that maximizes human well-being.
I believe that eventually this concept will win the day.

I know that tomorrow the sun will rise in the east and set in the west.
I believe that each day has the potential to be an amazing one.

I know that, like everybody, one day I’ll die.
But first, I believe that I still have a bit of living left to do.

What do you know? What do you believe?

5 comments:

  1. I just wanted to say how much you've helped me. As someone who was diagnosed roughly six months ago with an exacerbation that made walking almost impossible, at first I literally thought it was over. Then I started seeing how I actually had a lot of good stuff left.

    At that point I kind of thought, "until I have to use a wheelchair". But seeing you on your ibot and reading what you write about the experience showed me it doesn't have to stop me from being productive.

    I feared cognitive dysfunction would "take over", but watching your videos and reading your words it's quite clear you are not cognitively disabled, at least not at times. (I mean, I'm cognitively disabled at times already when I'm tired.)

    It's a shame that employers don't realize how productive you still are. Luckily for me, I own my own business and I have approved my own request to work less, but I still find me a very valuable employee.

    I realized for us it's so much about assistive technology, because we aren't limited inside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mitch, great post! I know I'm much worse than I was just two years ago. I believe I can continue to shine, though, even as progression takes its toll.
    Peace,
    Muff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right on, Matt! Hang on to that idea that there's no one condition that's intolerable, that it's always worth thinking about what is out there to make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know that the days when we get what we deserve are generally bad days.

    I believe that each day is in fact a gift that we don't truly deserve, but are blessed with.

    I know I'm going to win that damn pool of yours.

    I believe it will be this week.

    ReplyDelete