Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Memories: Watching TV with My Mother

note: for those of you receiving this blog post as an email, click here to go to the original post to view the embedded videos.

As most of you know, my mother became a quadriplegic due to a spinal cord injury when I was five years old. She lived forty more years. Mom never complained, and she lifted the spirits of anyone who spent time with her. One of the ways I spent time with her as a child was watching television.

There were three shows that she loved, and they shared the common thread of a talented, funny, leading lady. It started with Lucille Ball, and the I Love Lucy show. That show ran from 1951 until 1957, before my time, but we could find it in reruns through most of my childhood. Lucy got herself into a hilarious predicament every episode, and my mother never failed to laugh at her. Neither did I. Perhaps her most famous scene was at the chocolate factory:



The second program my mother loved was the Carole Burnett Show. This comedy-variety ran from 1967 to 1978. Carole was the leader of a troop of comics such as Harvey Korman, Tim Conway, and Vicki Lawrence. They would perform skits each week. Some of them were one-of-a-kind’s, and others were of the serial variety. Again, Mom and I would laugh throughout. Our favorite part was an unrehearsed question and answer segment with the audience at the start of most shows. Carole was quick on her feet, essentially performing improvisational humor. She also had a nice voice. Below is a video of how she ended each episode.


And finally, my father joined my mother and us kids to watch All in the Family, which ran from 1971 to 1979. Here's the opening song:


This show was different from the other two, in that it was a mixture of comedy and serious political and social satire. Archie Bunker was the lovable bigot. He was a right wing conservative before they were called right wing conservatives. His wife Edith, who he referred to as Dingbat, was the quiet and submissive wife, except for those few times when she wasn’t. Archie’s nemesis was his son-in-law, Michael, who he referred to as Meathead. Michael was a bleeding heart liberal before they were called bleeding heart liberals.

Dad’s outlook on life was similar to Archie’s. Sometimes I overheard my parents talking to their friends about the show. Dad would often take the position, “Everybody laughs at poor old Archie, but if you really listen to what he says, he’s right about almost everything." I think my mother loved the show because she sympathized with the Edith character, and although she would never laugh at my father, she felt free to laugh at Archie.

These shows were each groundbreaking in their era. The time our family spent in watching them together was quality time. Does anyone still do that with their family? Do people still gather around and watch TV shows together, or does everyone retreat to their separate corners of the house and watch their own personal “content?”

9 comments:

  1. So true Mitch back then families had true family time together. All 3 of those shows were favorites of mine too, they certainly don't have shows like those now a days!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joan, I find that the shows on AMC, Showtime, and HBO are much better than network shows, but they're generally not of the family variety.

      Delete
  2. I still call them TV Dinners! We watched everything, commercials, test patterns, all of it. You and your mother had excellent taste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, in the pre-DVR and pre-VCR days, watching your favorite shows was an event, and everyone had to do it together if they wanted to catch the show at all.

      Delete
  3. There were shows my husband, son (now 34) and I would always watch together. ALF, Muppets, X Files, Simpsons. We didn't start watching Seinfeld together but we all seemed to catch the reruns. All those shows still bring back laughs, memories, and those inside jokes families seem to share. Our son and his wife now have a 1 year old. It's funny how Dad and Grandpa already can't wait to share Muppets and Star Wars with him. And hopefully there will be new shows that their new family will watch and share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mitch. I like Lucille, Carol Burnett, and Archie Bunker is just ok. I guess Meathead is pretty cool as he has had a good career. I think. I was more a watch Wild Kingdom – Mutual of Omaha something or other, with 3 brothers, mom and dad.

    JE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! Mutual of Omaha's wild Kingdom was another show we all gathered around the TV to watch. Was it on Sunday nights just before wonderful world of Disney?

      Delete
    2. I think maybe yeah. Oh what a night.

      JE

      Delete