Tuesday, June 13, 2017

The Yin and Yang of MS

I am dependent but not helpless.
I am left behind, but I enjoy time alone.
I am fragile but not weak.
I am embarrassed but not ashamed.
I am disabled, but I'm not hungry, wet, cold, or abused.

I don't walk in the woods, but I still sit by the ocean.
I don't sleep well at night, so I can't stay awake during the day.
I don't travel as much, but people come to me.
I don't work, but I remain relevant.
I don't walk, run, swim, or bike, but I still breathe, swallow, see, and speak.
I don't drive, but I am driven.

I am a born optimist, but I don’t like my chances.
I am a prisoner in this body, but I possess free will.
I am embattled, but I remain content.
I am frightened, but I am loved.
I am frustrated and discouraged, but more often I am amused and intrigued.
I worry about tomorrow, but I live for today.

19 comments:

  1. Koala-tea!

    Liked these parts especially:
    "I am embarrassed but not ashamed."
    "I am frightened, but I am loved."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The urban dictionary defines Koala tea as: a bastardized pronunciation of "quality" that functions as an adjective. It's the first time I've ever been complemented thusly :-)

      Delete
  2. I Love these sayings! It describes our lives with MS, etc. so well. I am a born optimist it seems also?? When you list what you can still do, it reminds me of those who cant speak anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, I think it's a good exercise for us to remember that there is always someone worse off than we are, and often times they have an attitude that is as good or better. For me, and you I think, this is humbling.

      Delete
  3. Beautifully written. Thank you for this, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! Don't forget the tip jar, and I have CDs for sale at the cash register. Any special requests tthis evening?

      Delete
  4. "I don't drive but I am driven."
    ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love double entendres. My license plate is "MS".

      Delete
  5. I am a prisoner in this body, but I possess free will. MS can't take that from me unless I hand it over! Ty for posting this ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful. And so relevant and true for me. Thank you for that. I hope you are going to compile and publish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am nearly finished with my memoir, and it draws from some of my better blog posts.

      Delete
  7. I'd like to add this.
    To you, Mitch ____
    YOU are an inspiration to us.

    Dee/OH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee, you can't imagine how much that warms my heart

      Delete
  8. You can speak for me any time, kiddo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiddo? I'll have you know that I am more than half a century old!

      Delete
  9. I also like your MS plate.

    I, too, have a double entandre with my email addy being: MSbluis
    (Ms Blue Eyes)

    ReplyDelete